A white truck is driving down the road.

All the USDOT Services You Need in One Place

Whether you need a USDOT number or an NJ USDOT number flyer, we’ve got you covered. Tri-State Safety Solutions, LLC in Toms River, New Jersey, is here to cater to all the USDOT services you need.

USDOT Number

This is required for any company that owns or operates a Commercial Vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 10,001 lbs. or more, transports cargo, or a vehicle that transports 9 or more passengers in interstate commerce.

A USDOT number is also required for any intrastate carriers hauling hazardous materials that require a safety permit. In select states, all commercial motor vehicles must obtain a USDOT number.

A dump truck driving down the road in the dirt.
A white truck is driving down the street.

MC Number/Operating Authority

In general, you would need to have interstate operating authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number if your company is:

  • Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)
  • Transporting passengers, or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce
  • Transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for their transport in interstate commerce

Operating Authority means the registration required by 49 U.S.C. 13902, 49 CFR part 365, 49 CFR part 368, and 49 CFR 392.9a. FMCSA operating authority is also referred to as an "MC," "FF," or "MX" number.

Unlike the USDOT number application process, your company may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support its planned business operations. An operating authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry.

Carriers who are not required to have an operating authority include:

  • Private carriers (carriers that transport their cargo)
  • “For-hire" carriers that exclusively haul exempt commodities (cargo that is not federally regulated)
  • Carriers that operate exclusively within a federally designated "commercial zone" that is exempt from interstate authority rules. A commercial zone is, for example, a geographic territory that includes multiple states bordering on a major metropolitan city, such as Virginia/Maryland/Washington, DC

One-Day Service USDOT Number

We will provide you with the FMCSA requirements for proper vehicle marking on your vehicles. You will receive your USDOT number by the end of the next business day, along with your PIN number.

One-Day Service MC-Authority

You will receive your US-MC Authority, along with your PIN number, by the end of the next business day. Once your number has been issued, it can take up to 20 days for the Operating Authority Approval. Service also includes BOC-3 filing.

Need Your MC Authority Reinstated?

Once all fees and required paperwork have been submitted to FMCSA, it can take 32 - 48 hours before your Operating Authority has been reinstated.

Interstate Operating Authority Process

Our USDOT services can help you through the entire process. We promise to answer all your questions in each process involving:

  • Motor carrier number (MC #) application & FMCSA filing fee
  • USDOT number application
  • BOC-3 filing
  • Individual consultation on your state registration requirements
  • Compliance and driver qualification files
  • Quick permit service
  • Driver's daily log (one copy included for each vehicle up to 12. Additional copies can be purchased at a discounted rate)
  • A copy of the FMCSA regulations driver-glove box edition (one copy included for each vehicle up to 12. Additional copies can be purchased at a discounted rate.)

As an add-on, our team can be on-site for the required DOT inspection for an additional fee.

Two red trucks are driving down the road.
A group of trucks are parked on the side of the road.

IRS Form 2290

You must file Form 2290 and Schedule 1 for the tax period beginning on July 1, 2016, and ending on June 30, 2017, if your vehicle is:

  • A taxable highway motor vehicle
  • Registered or required to be registered in your name
  • Registered under state, District of Columbia, Canadian, or Mexican law at the time of its first use
  • Has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

The UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) registers your USDOT number with all the states. It has been required for all interstate carriers and Brokers since 2010 and is one of the most heavily enforced registrations.

Your UCR expires every December 31 and requires yearly renewals. UCR registration fees are based on the number of trucks that operate interstate. Trailers and intrastate trucks are an exemption from this rule.

A white truck is driving down the road.
A group of trucks parked in front of each other.

International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA)

This is required for all carries hauling for hire across state lines when:

  • It has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms
  • It has three or more axles regardless of weight
  • It is used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight

Once you receive an IFTA license from your base state, you can travel in all states, but you will be required to file a quarterly fuel tax report.

International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP is a method of registering fleets of vehicles that travel in two-or-more-member jurisdictions. Member jurisdictions include all U.S. states, except:

  • Alaska
  • Hawaii
  • Washington DC
  • All Canadian provinces except territories of Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon

Your IRP registration fees are determined by the type of operation you requested (private, for-hire, or rental) and by the following:

  • Percentage of miles traveled in each member jurisdiction
  • The registered gross weight of each vehicle
  • Number of vehicles in the carrier’s fleet
A red truck is driving down the road
A line of trucks parked in front of a yellow fence.

New York Highway Usage Tax (NY HUT)

If your business will be operating on the public highways of New York State, you must obtain a certificate of registration and a decal for each motor vehicle which are subject to the highway use tax. There are two types of registration:

  • HUT Certificate of Registration – this is required for any truck, tractor, or other self-propelled vehicles with a gross weight of over 18,000 pounds
  • Automotive Fuel Carrier (AFC) Certificate of Registration – this is required for any truck, trailer, semi-trailer, or other attached device transporting automotive fuel

New Jersey Business Registration

For carriers who pick up or deliver in the state of New Jersey, you are required to register your business with the state.

Kentucky Highway Use License (KYU)

This license is required to report a mileage tax for vehicles with a combined licensed weight of 60,000 lbs. and above. You will also need to file Quarterly Tax Returns for your business.

New Mexico Weight Tax ID

The state of New Mexico imposes a weight-distance tax for commercial vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds. This tax is based on vehicle weight, and miles traveled on New Mexico roads.

If you will be doing business in this area, your company must be registered annually and file Quarterly Tax Returns.

A garbage truck with a blue trash can on the back.

Arkansas Property Tax Return

Regardless of if you did not travel through the state of Arkansas during the months of January 1 to December 31, Ark. Code Ann. 26-26-1602 requires all motor carriers to file a property tax report. The deadline for filing this report is on March 31st.

Kansas Property Tax Return

Since January 1, 2014, HB 2557 eliminated property tax collection on all commercial motor vehicles for transportation businesses done in the area.

A truck driving down the street with a blurry background.

Oregon Truck Weight Certificate

For businesses based in other states and Canada that operate trucks in Oregon, you will need an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for each truck. This is a document related to the Oregon weight-mile tax.

If you will be operating in this state, you must complete an application to obtain the following:

  • Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for new trucks
  • Amended Weight Receipt for trucks already registered with Oregon
  • Renewed Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier

Get Started on Our Services

For more information about our USDOT services, feel free to message us. We take your security seriously. Please do not enter personal information (Credit card numbers, Tax ID, PIN numbers, etc.) in our contact form.